Adoption - Are You Ready?
So, you think you're ready to adopt? Our first recommendation is that you make sure you know all about golden retrievers. Read up on the breed. Interact with several of them. Talk to people who've had a golden for a long time. Adoption is a lifetime commitment so be informed and be ready. Golden retrievers are a lovable breed, gentle by nature, easy to train and eager to please.
But, they are also big, energetic, have long fur coats and would prefer to have their own way most of the time - just like most creatures on earth. They are very social, don't like being alone for long periods of time, and need to be an active part of your life. They incur costs for vet bills, training classes, quality food, fencing in some instances, not to mention toys, leashes, brushes... the list goes on. Some like cats and some do not.
If you've decided a golden retriever is right for your family, please consider the following about rescued goldens:
- AGaG rescues any and all needy goldens (except aggressive dogs) without bias to age, gender, size, color, personality, medical needs or other history and, therefore, the profiles of our available goldens can greatly vary at any given time.
- A typical rescued golden may have one or more issues and adoptive families need to be open to accepting a dog that is less than perfect.
- Due to safety, liability, and availability concerns, AGaG does not adopt to families with children under 6 years of age residing full-time, or part-time in their home.
There are many important factors that go into a successful adoption including learning all about you, your situation and your preferences.
Do you have a house, a yard, a fence? Do you live in an apartment but close to a park? Are you part of a big, active household? Do you live alone? Have kids? Have other pets? Like to be active and want a playful dog? Yes, you're getting the right picture that there's a lot involved in this adoption business.
While we'd like to help every family interested in adopting a golden retriever, our volunteer and fiscal resources are limited so we only adopt goldens to families living within Illinois. If you live out of state and are interested in a rescued golden, please click here to find golden retriever rescue organizations in the U.S.
Here's a checklist of important steps and what to expect. Please note the adoption process may take several weeks to months depending upon your preferences and the profiles of dogs in our program at any given time.
- Click HERE for our adoption application. Fill it out completely to ensure we find you the best match, and submit with the $15 application fee.
- We'll send you an e-mail or postcard within two weeks of receipt of your application.
- An As Good as Gold volunteer will contact you to schedule a mutually convenient date for your home visit (all household members must be present).
- You will be notified of application approval or denial no more than two weeks after your home visit has been completed.
- Once your application has been approved, you will be placed on a waiting list until a potential adoptive dog is identified. Once a match is identified, an AGaG volunteer will contact you and arrange for your family to meet the dog.
Can I Shop Your Site For The Dog I Want?
No, as you can see from the process outlined above, we don't do on-the-spot adoptions; and there are so many factors that influence the right match and you'd never discover them by looking at a photo and reading a quick profile. But, what you can do, is track our success stories to see specific dogs that are now happily living in their forever homes. You will see representative rescue Goldens as they're featured in other stories on our website, or you can come to one of our many events and meet us, and our dogs, in person!
What Are Your Current Adoption Fees?
|Special Needs Program
Dogs w/Special Needs
Dogs 1-7 yrs old
|Golden Years Program
Dogs 8+ yrs old
Adoption fees help offset the cost of veterinary expenses and canine supplies used to care for rescued golden retrievers. If you are interested in adopting a rescued golden retriever and would like information about our "Adoptions for All" program, please call us at 630-588-0115.
What is the "Golden Years" Program?
The Golden Years program is simple - if you open your heart and home to adopt one of our senior goldens (age 8 or older), adoption fees will be waived for all subsequent adoptions of dogs 8 years old or over. We have also grandfathered in any adoptive family that has previously adopted a senior dog from us. We hope this program will encourage people to think about adopting a senior dog… many of us know how wonderful they can be! If you would just like to help us cover our senior goldens' medical expenses, please consider a donation to Elsa's Fund.
What are Special Needs Goldens?
Quite often we take in goldens that may require a little something extra. This may mean medications, surgery, behavioral help, or in very special cases, a dog that will continue to need extra care for the rest of its life. Special needs dogs have discounted adoption fee of $150. We hope this program will make it easier for someone to open their hearts and provide forever home for a very special golden.
What if I Can't Adopt?
As always, donations are accepted for the care of all of the goldens we take in, but if you are touched by the story or needs of a particular golden on our site, and are unable to bring one of these great dogs into your home; please consider a donation to help cover the cost of their medical care. For more information on donations, please select "Donations" from the left menu of any page on our site.